The Psion 5mx
If you're unfamiliar with the Psion 5mx, you don't know what you're
You can find out more about the 5mx
- It's a PDA with a keyboard. (And a damn fine one too, considering
the size of the thing.)
- The screen has resolution 640 x 240.
- It runs for a week of heavy use on two AA batteries.
- It uses a stylus on a touch-sensitive screen instead of a
mouse. Handwriting recognition is not builtin, but there are 3rd party
- It has all the usual PDA applications (calendar,
contacts, word processing and others), all of which can exchange data
with their Windows counterparts.
- Lots of freeware, shareware and other software is available.
- It includes a sound recorder.
- It has 16MB of memory split between a RAM disk and RAM.
- You can add a Compact Flash disk in sizes up to 128MB.
- And best of all, it's a real computer. You can program it
in C++ (on a PC), a proprietary scripting language, or Java. You can load
it up with JDK 1.1.4. I have spent many plane rides having fun hacking Java
on this cool machine.
I'm not connected with Psion or Symbian in any way; just a big fan of the 5mx.